Development Award for Female Filmmakers (Youth)Ed Video is an inclusive and innovative artist-run centre that supports artists from diverse communities in all aspects of media arts. We endeavour to create an environment which is inclusive and representative of the diverse community we call home.
It has been recognized, both at a greater level and in-specific to Ed Video, that female film and video makers are underrepresented in the fields of film and video. Ed Video is looking to do our part to address this issue by promoting the development and careers of women working in key creative roles within film and video.
The Development Award for Female Filmmakers is a development support program which provides access for female media artists between the ages of 18 and 28 who are working toward a career in the fields of fiction/cinematic work or documentary. The access provided by this grant can be used to gain experience with equipment through practice, to research and develop new techniques, or to create a new short work. It is not necessary to create a finished work for exhibition or distribution as an end product of this award.
Eligible applicants must:
• Be a resident of one of the following Ontario counties: Brant, Dufferin, Halton, Hamilton-Wentworth, Peel, Waterloo or Wellington.
• Be between the age of 18 and 28
• Be an emerging artist (less than two professional works)
• Be able to achieve the goals of their development between May 1st, 2016 and March 31st, 2017.
• Share news of the progress with staff, who may include notices in Ed Video’s email newsletter
• Abide by the standard rental and equipment access policies of Ed Video
The application deadline is April 1st, 2016.
Successful applicants will receive:
• A one year Producer membership;
• The equivalent value of up to $400 in access to Ed Video equipment for the purposes of practice, or to create short works
• Editing lab access
• No cost access to workshops (some conditions apply), training, and mentorship
Applicants must submit:
• A current resume (with emphasis on your artistic work)
• A 1 to 3 page description including: your desired development outcomes; what activities you will undertake in order to achieve these goals; potential collaborators; how this award will affect your career in the arts.
• If you intend to create a project with this award, please provide general details
• A detailed request for support. (We need to know what it is you are asking us for)
• Examples of previous work are encouraged, but not mandatory.
The jury will weigh how Ed Video’s award can fit into the artist’s long term goals and if our assistance will help them reach the next step in their career or education.
One award may be granted annually.